Public gathering banned indefinitely in Bhola


The local administration of Bhola imposed an indefinite ban on public gathering on Monday — a day after clashes between protesters and police that left four people dead. Deputy commissioner Mohammad Masud Alam Siddique told UNB that the move was aimed at maintaining law and order situation. ‘It’ll remain effective until further notice,’ he said.

Meanwhile, the district bus owners association stopped intra-district operation from 600am citing security reasons, its organising secretary Shafiqul Islam told UNB. Maulana Ataur Rahman, secretary of Islami Andolan Bangladesh’s Bhola unit, said that they planned to hold a pre-announced public gathering later on the day under the banner of All Party Muslim Unity Council.

Members of the law enforcement agencies and Border Guard Bangladesh were patrolling the town to prevent any untoward incident. More than 200 people were injured in Sunday’s clash in Borhanuddin upazila; many of them suffered gunshot wounds. Police and local people said messages containing derogatory remarks about Allah and Prophet Muhammad (SM) were sent to several persons from the facebook ID of one Biplob Chandra Shuvo. 

Screenshots of the messages went viral on facebook, triggering condemnation and protests. Md Enamul Haque, officer-in-charge of Borhanuddin police station, said that Biplob came to them on Saturday to file a general diary claiming that his facebook account had been hacked. Two suspected cyber criminals were detained in this connection.

Read more related topics: Govt seeks data from Facebook to identify Bhola culprits.