UNB, Khulna:: More than 10,000 dry-fish processing fishermen in Dubla Char of the Sundarbans have stopped fishing in the sea and rivers since Wednesday evening due to renewed fears of forest pirates.
The fishermen suspended fishing amid uncertainty over the fate of 20 fishermen who were allegedly abducted on Monday night.
Their whereabouts remained unknown for the past two days.
President of the Dubla Fishermen Group freedom fighter Md Kamal Uddin Ahmed told UNB over phone from Alorkol that the absence of adequate security in the Sundarbans and adjacent sea areas has left fishermen terrified of abduction.
“Over 10,000 fishermen engaged in dry-fish processing stopped fishing in the sea and rivers from Wednesday evening and are now staying idle on the char,” he said.
With the season nearing its end, many fishermen are worried about returning home empty-handed, he added.
Kamal Uddin alleged that four pirate groups — identified as Jahangir, Suman, Sharif and Karim Bahini — are currently active in the Sundarbans and nearby waters.
“The pirates are moving freely, abducting fishermen and releasing them after collecting ransom. Those who fail to pay are severely beaten,” he claimed.
He said at least four fishermen were admitted to Rampal Hospital last week after being seriously injured in attacks by pirates.
Although the Sundarbans were declared pirate-free in 2018 by the then government, piracy has resurfaced during the interim administration, he added.
Motasim Forazi, president of the Rampal Fishermen’s Association in Alorkol, said piracy has made fishing nearly impossible.
“Earlier we used to say, ‘Crocodiles in water, tigers on land.’ Now it’s ‘Pirates at sea,’” he said.
He claimed that more than 100 fishermen are currently being held captive by pirates, with several abductions reported in the past 15 days.
The 20 fishermen abducted on Monday night have yet to be traced, though the pirates left a mobile number for contact, he said.
Officials of the Forest Department expressed concern over the financial impact of the fishing halt.
Officer-in-Charge of the Dubla Patrol Outpost under the Sundarbans East Forest Division, Forest Ranger Milton Roy, said the suspension of fishing activities could lead to a significant revenue shortfall.
Sharankhola Forest Station Officer, Forest Ranger Md Khalilur Rahman, said no fishermen are currently collecting fishing permits from the station due to pirate fears, which is likely to severely affect the division’s monthly revenue target.
Local traders in Sharankhola market, including grocers Jalal Molla, Anwar Saudagar and Ripon Hawlader, said their businesses have also suffered as fishermen are no longer heading to the forest.
Assistant Conservator of Forests (ACF) of Sharankhola Range Md Shariful Islam said the rise in pirate activities has been reported to higher authorities and that forest guards are working to ensure the safety of fishermen.