Intellectuals, security analysts and cultural activists have welcomed the government’s ‘political’ decision of banning the radical Islamist party Jamaat-e-Islami, which worked as collaborator of the invader Pakistani forces during the War of Liberation in 1971.
The noted persons say a long cherished desire is going to be fulfilled finally as the government has taken the decision following a long dillydallying in this regard.
But, they express difference of opinions over the process of banning, saying that the government should enact a law to ban the Jamaat instead of doing so through a gazette notification.
“We have been continuing a movement with a demand for the ban of the Jamaat for the last three decades. When it was logical, the government did not take any step to ban the party. Now the Jamaat has a strong economic footing along with a cache of arms. The move might push the party to run underground politics,” historian Muntassir Mamoom told the Bangladesh Post.
He opined that as the government has taken the decision abruptly, international quarters might come up with mixed reactions.
“Although it was a demand from the civil society and young generation, the government did not take their opinions. Under the circumstances, the government has to drum up public supports at home and brief the diplomats in detail over the move to avert any questions internationally,” he said.
Law minister Anisul Huq on Tuesday said the government would ban Jamaat-e-Islami through an executive order by tomorrow (Wednesday).
Shawan Mahmud, daughter of martyred Altaf Mahmud, told the Bangladesh Post that the government should have snapped the political rights of the party during the time of the execution of the verdict against the war criminals.
“But they were not banned then. When the government is set to ban
the Islamist party after a long period of time, it (Jamaat) becomes strong by this time. How much the government will succeed in eliminating the Jamaat, it depends on the next course of action of the government,” she said.
Asif Munier, son of martyred Munier Chowdhury, said that they had been demanding for the ban of the Jamaat for a long time.
“Being a member of the families of the victim of the independence, we always have a desire for the ban of the Jamaat. A case for banning the Jamaat is still pending with the court. Now the government is set to ban the Jamaat through a gazette notification. At present, the Jamaat is not running its politics with its own name rather its leaders and activists have already been involved with other parties. How does the government address it?” he told the Bangladesh Post.
“Is there any guarantee that the decision would not be scraped by another notification in the future?” he posed a question.
He stressed the need for banning the Islamist party constitutionally.
“Instead of banning the Jamaat through the gazette notification, the government would ban it by enacting a law,” he said.
Security analyst Ishfaq Elahi Chowdhury told the government should face Jamaat politically instead of banning it through the notification.
“If public support would have been drummed up against the activities of the Jamaat, the support of the vested quarters on Jamaat might have been reduced,” he said.
Another security analyst Afizur Rahman opined that if the Jamaat would have been banned politically, it would have no chance to be empowered politically in the future.
“The sharp weapons used by the Jamaat-Shibir men are a tool of the rise of militant activities at home. Besides, Jamaat is also involved with international conspiracies as they maintain relation with Pakistani intelligence,” he told the Bangladesh Post.
“The government must keep vigil so that the Jamaat men cannot be able to maintain a chain for the rise of global terrorism,” he added.