less than 30 mins
10 to 30 mins
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 onion, finely diced
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 500g/1lb 2oz mushrooms (such as white closed cup), cleaned and sliced
• ½ tsp English mustard
• 1 tsp paprika
• 250ml/9fl oz vegetable stock, made from stock cube
• 200g/7oz rice
• 200ml/7fl oz soured cream
• 1 lemon, cut into six wedges
• salt and black pepper
1. Heat a frying pan or wide saucepan over a medium heat and add the oil. Once hot, add the onion along with a pinch of salt and cook the onion gently for 5–7 minutes or until soft.
2. Add the garlic to the pan and continue to cook for 2 minutes, then add the sliced mushrooms. Continue to cook gently for a 5–6 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender and golden-brown.
3. Add the mustard and paprika and mix well so that everything is coated. Add the stock, stirring as you pour it. Simmer gently for 5 minutes while you cook the rice.
4. Cook the rice according to the packet instructions in a separate saucepan until tender.
5. Once the rice is cooked, remove the mushrooms from the heat, stir in the soured cream along with the juice of two lemon wedges and mix it all together. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Serve the stroganoff with the rice and the remaining wedges of lemon on the side.