Miscreants torched 3 motorbikes at HC gates

Unidentified miscreants torched three motorcycles parked at three different places in the Supreme Court area on Wednesday afternoon. 

Ershad Hossain, a duty officer at the fire service and civil defense control room, confirmed it to media. He said the fire service vehicle reached to the spot after receiving the first news of the incident.

Witnesses said the three motorcycles, one parked in front of the High Court Gate, one at the Eidgah Field Gate and one at the Bar Council Gate, were set on fire in between 4pm and 5pm yesterday.

Witnesses said a person has been detained in connection with the incident. However, law enforcers have not confirmed the matter.

The coordinated act of sabotage occurred before the day of BNP chairperson Begum Khaleda Zia's bail plea hearing on Zia Charitable Trust corruption case scheduled to be held on Thursday.

Centering the hearing, security at the surrounding areas of the Supreme Court has been beefed up since Wednesday morning. Additional members of the law enforcers has been deployed at every entrances of the Supreme Court, the surrounding areas and the interior of the court premises.

The act of coordinated sabotage happened amidst the tightened security.

Shahbagh Police Station Officer-in-Charge (OC) Abul Hassan said, “Police provide regular security in the Supreme Court area. However, today (Wednesday), the security of the Supreme Court has been strengthened to avoid any hostile incident (on occasion of Khaleda Zia’s hearing).”

The latest medical report of the physical condition of Begum Khaleda Zia reached the Supreme Court from Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (BSMMU) on Wednesday afternoon. And the act of sabotage occurred after her health report reached the court.  

Inspector of Shahbag police station Abul Bashar told the media that he was on the road in front of the National Press Club and came to the spot immediately after sensing the fire. Later, fire service personnel came in and stopped the blaze. Efforts are underway to investigate why the unknown assailants set fire on the three motorcycles, Ramna Divisional Police Deputy Commissioner Sajjadur Rahman said.