You might have traveled a lot in your home country being a travel freak. But overseas trips are much more thrilling and adventurous let alone your first trip overseas.
It is very much exciting to travel somewhere totally new, different, and foreign. On the other hand, this may also be a little bit frightening and confusing. Plan accordingly to these easy tips to ensure your smooth sailing.
If you are traveling abroad for the very first time, the following list of 20 tips would help you remind yourself what you should do before your journey begins.
1. Meet with your insurance carrier and your doctor as well. You should have all of the vaccinations properly. Additionally, you must renew every necessary prescription. Moreover, discuss with your medical insurance provider if the policy you are having applies overseas for emergencies. If it doesn’t, make supplemental insurance.
2. Take copies of your passport. You can get back into the country, or be able to prove your citizenship If your passport gets lost or stolen.
3. For backup, leave an extra copy of your passport at home or with someone you trust and an electronic copy stored in your email account.
4. Get registration at your embassy. This would help your government to contact you and get you to safety if there’s a problem in that country.
5. Research for the monetary conversion before you travel. Remember, you must do your math before you start your journey to get a sense of where the conversion rate is at.
6. Be assured that your credit card would work in the country you are traveling to.
7. In the country you are traveling, head to a bank or ATM other than the conversion centers in the airport or around the city. Thus the conversion would be exact.
8. Always keep some local cash. You can not use credit cards in every place.
9. Contact your bank or credit card provider. Sometimes banks would think that there is something wrong or fraudulent happening if transactions are happening all of a sudden. For a security measure, they might turn off the card.
10. Research about the country’s entrance and exit charge. Some countries want visitors to pay for entering or leaving the country. These charges can be ranged between $25 to $200.
11. You may book tickets in advance for places you like to visit. This would help you to skip more lines, and get greater l deals targeted toward you.
12. You should collect a guidebook. Guidebooks generally have maps, keywords, or phrases. These provide you with enough details. You may find those on certain sites as well. You might get the apps before you leave to avoid downloading charges from your wireless carrier.
13. You should check out what events are happening at the time of your visit. This would forbid you from missing the best events going on in that city. The trip would be worthless if you don't try the national dishes of that place as well.
14. Take a charger adapter with you. The size of plugs and voltage differ in various countries. Therefore, if you are willing to use iPod, you have to charge it. A power strip would be an option to charge off various devices of one adapter.
15. Make sure you have checked the voltage of your electronics. Otherwise, you might not be able to use a hairdryer or a straightener because the voltage not being high enough for the country.
16. Activate the global capabilities of your phone. There is generally a fee for enabling this, but it is much less than the charge for roaming.
17. You can download any travel-related app such as the Travelzoo app. The Travelzoo app would provide you with the best deals in different countries, and local deals for transportation.
18. Take an extra set of clothes in your handbag. If the airline lost your luggage, you would have nothing else to put on.
19. Every airline has specific rules on how many bags can be carried on for free. Thoroughly research your airline’s guidelines to avoid any extra fees.
20. Bring some snacks for yourself. Traveling abroad is exciting, but having food in a foreign country may sometimes become a difficulty. Bring some snacks that would help until you discover a perfect food cart or restaurant.
Hurrah! We have got this. These are the best tips that would help first-time travelers for their overseas trips. All you need to do is to pack the bags and reach the airport at least 2-3 hours before the departure because of custom works. Have a safe journey!
Read More: How to travel alone for the first time