The ruling Awami League on Friday replied to the letter from US Assistant Secretary of State for South and Central Asian Affairs Donald Lu mentioning that dialogue with opposition parties is currently not feasible due to time constraints.
Sources said, on behalf of AL General Secretary Obaidul Quader, the party's Central Executive Committee member lawmaker Mohammad A Arafat handed over a letter to Arturo Hines, acting deputy chief of mission at the US embassy, in response to the letter of Donald Lu.
Earlier on 13 November, the United States dispatched letters calling for ‘dialogue without preconditions’ among three major parties-- Awami League, BNP and Jatiya Party.
The letters sent by Donald Lu also reiterated the importance of ‘free, fair, impartial, and participatory elections’.
On 15 November, US Ambassador Peter Haas handed over the letter to AL general secretary Obaidul Quader at his secretariat office.
Upon receiving the letter, Quader had said the time for dialogue had already passed and rejected the possibility of engaging in dialogue with opposition parties to resolve the ongoing political deadlock.
While the BNP and few other like-minded parties are trying to oust the present AL government and the general election a caretaker government.
But the ruling Awami League wants the election will be held as per the Constitution and under Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina through the democratic system.
It should be mentioned that in the name of political programmes like blockade and hartal, BNP, Jamaat and their like-minded few others parties continued violence and atrocities across the country since October 28.
The atrocities resulted in the torching of numerous vehicles and the deaths of two individuals, including a police constable. The Chief Justice's residence also faced an attack, accompanied by vandalism at a police hospital.