• 2 tbsp vegetable oil
• 1 large brown onion, chopped
• 4 whole cloves
• 4 cardamom pods, crushed
• 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
• 3 garlic cloves, crushed
• 4 cm/1½in piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
• 1 tsp ground coriander
• ¼ tsp ground allspice
• 1½ tsp ground cumin
• ½ tsp ground turmeric
• 1 tsp mild chilli powder
• 2 tsp tomato purée
• 75g/3oz ground almonds
• 250ml/8fl oz chicken stock
• 200ml/7fl oz whipping cream
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 50g/2oz flaked almonds, toasted
• chopped coriander, to garnish (optional)
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan or frying pan. Once hot, fry the onion, cloves and cardamom pods for a few minutes until the onion begins to soften.
2. Add the chicken, garlic and ginger and, after frying for 4 minutes, add all the remaining spices. Stir around in the pan, allowing them to release their flavour into the chicken.
3. Add the tomato purée, ground almonds, stock and cream and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 15 minutes until reduced to the consistency of thick cream. Taste and add seasoning if it needs it.
4. Scatter over the toasted almonds and chopped coriander, if using.