Nine shops gutted by fire in Gopalganj

Published : 31 May 2023 02:06 AM

At least nine shops were gutted in a fire at Ghaghar Bazar under Kotalipara upazila of the district in the early hours of Tuesday.

The fire originated from an electric short circuit at a shop in Bepari Patti of Ghaghar Bazar around 3am and soon engulfed the adjacent shops. As a result, nine shops were completely gutted, Sirajul Islam, in charge of Kotalipara Fire Service and Civil Defense, said.

Being informed, Kotalipara Fire Service and Civil Defense unit rushed to the spot and doused the blaze with the help of locals and affected businessmen after one hour of efforts, he added. Upazila Nirbahi Officer (UNO) Ferdous Wahid said that the affected traders will be supported by the government.

It is initially estimated to have caused a loss of about Taka five crore, the affected shop owners claimed.