At least 15 shops were gutted in a fire at Kobutor Bazar of Chowmuhani area in Begumganj upazila of Noakhali district in the early hours of on Friday.
The fire originated from an electric short circuit at a shop of the Bazar around 4am and soon engulfed the adjacent business establishments and 10 shops were gutted, Chowmuhani Fire Service Station commander Md. Belal Hossain told media.
Being informed, five units of Fire Service and Civil Defense rushed to the spot and doused the blaze with the help of locals and affected businessmen after two hours of efforts, he said.
It is initially estimated to have caused a loss of Taka about 45 lakh, he added.