National, Back Page

Victims yet to get justice after 7 years of Tazreen fire

Published : 23 Nov 2019 09:25 PM | Updated : 07 Sep 2020 08:14 PM

Because of delayed case proceedings, the survivors and relatives of the deceased are yet to get justice though seven years have gone since the biggest fire in country’s garment industry that claimed lives of about 120 workers at Tazreen Fashions in Ashulia, Savar, on November 24, 2012, reports BSS.
Only eight of the total 104 witnesses have been examined so far since the beginning of the proceedings of the case four years ago, while no witness turned out whatsoever before Dhaka 1st Additional District and Sessions Judge Court in the last two years.
The prosecution said police cannot trace the witnesses in their present addresses, while the court summons in many cases are not reaching their permanent addresses.
“This case is very important. The investigation officer in the charge sheet has given present addresses of most of the witnesses, where they are not living now. Whereas, the witnesses whose permanent addresses were given in the charge sheet are not getting the court’s summons properly. Police are not even arresting the witnesses, who have non-bailable warrant against their names,” additional public prosecutor Murshid Uddin Khan told BSS.
Emphasizing on more efforts by police, Khan said the law enforcers should be more aware.
Defence counsel ATM Golam Gaus said it is the duty of the prosecution to produce the witnesses before the court as the case remains stalled in absence of the witnesses.
“We want the case to be disposed of as quickly as possible as we are suffering the most for the stalemate of the trial proceedings. My clients are not being able to go abroad and run their businesses,” he added.
Around 120 workers were killed and more than 200 others got injured in the fire that gutted Tazreen Fashions in Ashulia, Savar, on November 24, 2012. Then sub-inspector (SI) Khairul Islam of Ashulia Police Station filed the case the next day.
Investigation officer (IO) and CID inspector AKM Mohsinuzzaman Khan on December 22, 2013, filed the charge sheet against 13 including factory owner Delwar Hossain and chairman Mahmuda Akter.
Dhaka District and Sessions Judge SM Quddus Zaman on September 3, 2015, framed charges in the case.
The accused are- factory owner Delwar Hossain, chairman Mahmuda Akter, loader Shamim Miah, store in-charge Al Amin, security in-charge Anisur Rahman, security supervisor Al Amin, store in-charge Hamidul Islam Lavlu, administration officer Dulal Uddin, engineer M Mahbubul Morshed, security guard Rana alias Anwrul, factory manager Abdur Razzak, production managers Mobarak Hossain Monju and Shahiduzzaman Dulal.
Of the accused, Dulal, Monju, Rana, Al Amin and Shamim are yet to be arrested.