The Appellate Division of the Supreme Court (SC) on Tuesday paved way continuing the proceedings of the case lodged over the 2002 attack on the motorcade of then leader of the opposition and incumbent Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina in Satkhira, reports BSS.
“Dismissed. Application for stay is rejected,” said the order passed by the four-member Appellate Division bench headed by Chief Justice Syed Mahmud Hossain.
After today’s order, there is no legal bar to continue proceedings of the case, said Additional Attorney General SM Munir.
Earlier on October 8, the High Court had ordered the lower court concerned to dispose of within three months the case.
A High Court division virtual bench Justice Mustafa Zaman Islam and Justice Md Kamrul Hossain Mollah had passed the order, discharging a rule issued in this regard.
Miscreants hurled bombs on the convoy of then leader of the opposition Sheikh Hasina and even shot at her as her motorcade reached in front of Kolaroa upazila BNP office in Satkhira on August 30, 2002. They vandalized a couple of vehicles of the convoy also.
Police in 2015 filed charge sheet in the case. Of the charge sheeted accused, Rakib alias Rakibur Rahman had filed a plea with the High Court to quash the case, saying he was only 10-year old during the incident.
The High Court had filed a rule to scrap the proceedings of the trial. On October 6, hearing was held on the rule and the court on October 8 discharged it.
The defence later filed a plea to stay that High Court order, which was dismissed by the Supreme Court today.