National, Back Page

Female doctor killed in city Three detained

Published : 31 May 2021 09:59 PM | Updated : 01 Jun 2021 12:28 AM

Police on Monday recovered the body of a doctor from a house in the capital's Kalabagan area.

The deceased was identified as Dr. Sabira Rahman, 47. She was a doctor in the Green Life Medical College Hospital in the city.

Police suspected that Dr Sabira was murdered as her body bore injury marks of sharp weapons.

Sub-Inspector of Kalabagan Police Station Subit Ahmed said, “Her body was recovered from the third floor of a house in Kalabagan.”

Additional Deputy Police Commissioner (ADC) of Ramna Division (New Market Zone) Shahensha Mahmud said, “We are investigating the matter and the body will be sent to Dhaka Medical College and Hospital (DMCH) for autopsy.”

Duty officer of Fire Service Control Room Lima Khanom said, “Two units of firefighters rushed to the house on information of fire at the flat.”

“The fire was doused before we reached but firefighters saw a body there. Later, the body was recovered by police,” she said.

Police detained three persons for interrogation in this connection. They are- a female student who was living with the slain doctor, a friend of the student and the security guard of the building.

According to the family sources, Dr. Sabira got married twice. Her first husband was a physician. He died in a road accident. Later, Sabira got married for the second time. Her second husband is Samsuddin Azad. He is the vice president of a private bank. However, she did not have a relationship with her second husband.

Sabira had two children. She had a son with her first husband and a nine-year-old daughter from her second husband. Sabira used to live with her daughter in this flat. She rented two rooms on sublet. She left her daughter at her grandfather's house in city’s Green Road on Sunday. Sabira was alone at her flat on Sunday night.

Sabira's cousin Rezaul Hasan said, “We also suspect that it was a murder. The fire incidence was arranged to divert the matter.”

“We don’t suspect anyone. Police will be able to give details after the investigation,” he added.