Devastating fire takes place at Rohingya camp


A sudden fire totally damaged at least 350 shanties and partially damaged 350 more shanties housing Rohingyas at Kutupalang refugee camp in Cox’s Bazar on Tuesday morning.

‘The fire broke out from a house adjacent to the camp and quickly it spread to the adjacent shanties,’ said Shamsuddoha, additional refugee, relief and repatriation commissioner.

The fire broke out at around 8:15am fire fighters suspected electric short circuit caused the fire. Around 50 shops in the camp also burnt down in the fire.

Around 20 people sustained minor injuries and they were given treatment at the field hospital of Medicine Sans Frontiers.

The Rohingyas fled a violent crackdown and oppression in neighbouring Myanmar starting in August 2017 to find shelter and safety in the camps in Bangladesh.