National, Front Page

CJ freezes judge Kamrun Nahar’s power

Published : 14 Nov 2021 10:45 PM | Updated : 14 Nov 2021 10:45 PM

The judicial power of judge Mosammat Kamrun Nahar of Women and Children Repression Prevention Tribunal-7 in Dhaka has been suspended by the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court on Sunday morning for penning a verdict in which she asked the police not to record a rape case after 72 hours of the offence committed.

Supreme Court spokesman Mohammad Saifur Rahman said that the Chief Justice Syed Mahmud Hossain suspended the judicial power of the judge for the time being.

The chief justice also asked the law ministry to send a written proposal to the Supreme Court’s General Administration Committee for getting its final approval for the decision as per the Constitution.

Court sources said Mosammat Kamrun Nahar, the judge of the Women and Children Repression Prevention Tribunal-7 in Dhaka went to her chamber at the court in the morning. But she did not sit in the courtroom as the decision of suspending her judicial power was broadcasted by different media in the morning.

The decision of the chief justice came a day after the law minister Anisul Huq told reporters at a discussion that the ministry would request the chief justice to take action against judge Kamrun Nahar for making an ‘illegal and unconstitutional observation’.

The minister made the comments after taking part in a discussion organised by Bangabandhu Awami Ainjibi Parishad Paribar commemorating late senior Supreme Court lawyer Abdul Baset Majumder.

The law minister called the tribunal’s observation as illegal’ and ‘unconstitutional’, stating that there was no timeframe in the Code of Criminal Procedure for filing a case for a criminal offence.

On Thursday, Kamrun Nahar, as the judge of Women and Children Repression Prevention Tribunal-7 in Dhaka, made the observation about the time framing of filing a rape case after acquitting five youths, including Apan Jewellers owner’s son Shafat Ahmed, of the charge of raping two university students at Raintree Dhaka hotel in the capital’s Banani area in 2017.

The tribunal found that the Banani rape case was filed after 38 days of the reported incident and no scientific evidence could substantiate the allegation.

Rights activists and lawyers criticised the tribunal’s observation and people from various walks of life also brought out a procession from Shahbagh in Dhaka early Friday protesting the observation of the tribunal.