Bhola road, launch movement suspended Friday


Intra-district road and river communications in Bhola remained suspended on Friday to avert any kind of untoward incident. However, launch communication between Bhola and Barishal, suspended since Friday morning, resumed in the afternoon. Meanwhile, police in Bhola detained three suspects for their alleged attempts to create chaos in the area. Those three persons hail from Dawlatkhan, Borhanuddin and Monpura upazilas, police said.

The road and launch communications remained suspended following the announcement of the All Party Muslim Unity Council’s special munajat for those killed in a clash between police and protesters at Borhanuddin upazila on Sunday. The law and order situation in Borhanuddin had deteriorated following a hate speech circulated through a facebook account of a youth. The facebook account is said to have been hacked by unknown miscreants.

Mannan, an official of Sanchita Launch Service of A Rahman Company, said that the launch service remained halted since morning, but he did not know the reason behind it. All Party Muslim Unity Council suspended its programme last night after receiving a letter from the local administration, said council’s joint secretary Maulana Mizanur Rahman.

The programme was suspended after discussion with the chief guest of the progamme Charmonai Pir Maulana Sayed Mohammad Fayzul Karim, he added. Meanwhile, security has been beefed up at important points of the town while members of the police, Rapid Action Battalion (Rab) and Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) were seen patrolling the town together.

Enayet Hossain, officer-in-charge of Bhola Model Police Station, said they had arrested a man from Bangla School Bridge of the town in the morning. Earlier on October 21, protesters sought removal of the district police chief and officer-in-charge of Borhanuddin Police Station under their six-point demand.

Road Transport and Bridges Minister Obaidul Quader, on Thursday said, several agencies are looking into the Bhola clash that left four people dead and at least 200 others injured on October 20, to find out what really happened. The investigation is being carried out at the order of the Prime Minister, Quader said. A court in Bhola on Thursday placed five people on a three-day remand each in a case over the clash.