A healthful diet typically includes nutrient-dense foods from all major food groups, including lean proteins, whole grains, healthful fats, and fruits and vegetables of many colors.
Some sources report that it is possible to prevent up to 80% of premature heart disease and stroke diagnoses with lifestyle changes, such as increasing physical activity and healthful eating.
The foods people eat can reduce their blood pressure and help keep their heart healthy.
The dietary approaches to stop hypertension diet, known as the DASH diet. Trusted Source, includes plenty of healthful foods for the heart. The program recommends the following:
• eating plenty of vegetables, fruits, and whole grains
• choosing fat-free or low fat dairy products, fish, poultry, beans, nuts, and vegetable oils
• limiting saturated and trans fat intake, such as fatty meats and full-fat dairy products
• limiting drinks and foods that contain added sugars
• restricting sodium intake to less than 2,300 milligrams per day — ideally 1,500 mg daily— and increasing consumption of potassium, magnesium, and calcium
Courtesy: Medical News Today