Fierce battles at various points in Narshindi district continued for three days between Pakistani troops and Mitra Bahini soldiers. Heavy machineguns and artillery shells tore apart buildings and bridges all around. One could hear the sound of gunfire throughout the days and nights and also occasional sorties on enemy positions by Indian jet fighters. At one point Indian soldiers brought amphibian tanks to cross the Meghna River. Pakistanis were holed up in the mills and factories on the river bank on the other side. As they were in an advantageous position in their bunkers, the casualty of Indian soldiers and Bengali guerrillas was high when they were in the middle of the river. Finally, on 12 December, Narshindi was captured. The remaining Pakistani soldiers fled towards Dhaka.
On 12 December, Adamdighi, a sub-district under Bogra district, came under the control of the Mitra Bahini when the Pakistani troops surrendered to them. The battle started on the evening of 11 December and continued till early morning of 12 December. The remaining Pakistani soldiers fled towards the Santahar Railway Junction camp. But they never returned to launch a counter attack. Adamdighi became totally free and people hoisted Bangladesh flag on tree tops.
Gobindaganj under Gaibandha also saw a fierce battle between the Pakistani and Mitra Bahini on 11 December and the thana became free on 12 December. In the battle here nearly 200 Pakistani soldiers lost their lives.
Sensing total defeat, many Pakistani field commanders started to send frantic wireless messages to Dhaka Cantonment for reinforcement or arrangements for their safe retreat to Dhaka. But they got no assurance from the war room. Gen. Rao Forman Ali, Gen. Tikka Khan and Gen. Niazi could not give them any hope of reinforcement. They sent back messages that field officers should make their own arrangements to come to Dhaka.
The Mitra Bahini and Mukti Bahini took position around Dhaka city to thwart any attempt by fleeing soldiers to enter Dhaka. As all roads to Dhaka closed for the Pakistanis, in many camps they simply waited for the Indian troops to reach them so they would surrender to them.