Country Desk
The valiant freedom fighters along with the allied forces after a bloody battle with Pakistany Army captured Kamalpur, a frontier area in Bakshiganj upazila under Jamalpur district on December 4 in 1971.
Since then December 4 has been observed as Kamalpur Free Day in a befitting manner every year, reports BSS. Kamalpur was under sector 11. Major (later Colonel) Abu Taher was the commander of the sector. Head quarter of sector 11 was situated at Mohendraganj under Meghalay state of India only two kilometres away from Kamalpur camp.

The sector was divided into eight sub-sectors as Mohendraganj, Mankarchar, Purakasia, Dhalu, Bagmara, Shibbari, Rangra and Moheshkhali. Under the sector 22,000 freedom fighters including 3,000 regular disciplined forces were fighting during the liberation war.
Freedom fighters and Pakistan Army confronted 18 bloody battles from June
12 to November 28 in 1971 war at Kamalpur. In the battles 194 freedom
fighters embraced martyrdom including Captain Salah Uddin Momtaj. During the battles 497 Pakistani troops were also killed. Besides, sector commander Major Abu Taher lost his one leg in a battle on November 14 in 1971 at Dhanua under Kamalpur.
Being strategically important the Pakistani army fortified the camp with heavy weapons and troops as the camp situated near Mohendraganj in India.

Before capturing the camp, the allied force made an attack on November 23. After a 10 days war the allied force overpowered Pakistani army on the day in 1971 and captured Dhanua Kamalpur, the important camp of Pakistani occupation.
On that day Ahasan Malik Khan, Garrison Commander, 31 Beluch Regiment along with 162 soldiers and huge ammunition surrendered to the Hardeb Shingh Clayer, Brigade Commander of allied force.

Company Commander, freedom fighter Syed Sadruzzaman Helal who led battle 14 times against Pakistany Army at Kamalpur camp said before surrender Bashir Ahmed carried surrender letter to the Army camp at 9 am. When he did not come back another freedom fighter Anisul Haque Akanda took surrender letter to the Army camp, he added.
At last, Pakistany Army surrendered at afternoon.