Staff Correspondent
Bangladesh is no longer a basket case as it is enriched with huge potentialities like the blue economy ones.
In order to harness the potentials, the government is working to utilize the blue economy, said State Minister for Shipping, Khalid Mahmud, while inaugurating a seminar styled ‘Blue Economy and Sustainable Development Goal 14: Bangladesh Perspective’ at the Pan Pacific Sonargaon Hotel in the capital on Thursday.
He added that by establishing ‘Blue Economy’ the country’s GDP growth will be doubled by 2025.
The state minister said, Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman made Sea Laws in 1947. His daughter Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina won ‘Maritime-Boundary’. Dream of the Bangabandhu can be fulfilled if the blue economy can be used properly.
Khalid Mahmud said, from Independence till now, we would be able to use 90 percent of the blue economy if Bangabandhu was alive, and we would have to think for only the rest 10 percent. But as his successor Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina is among us, under her visionary leadership, we will be able to utilize the blue economy. For this combined effort is a must.
The seminar was organised by department of shipping (DOS), under the shipping ministry. Foreign Ministry’s Maritime Affairs Unit Secretary Rear Admiral (Retd) Khurshed Alam presented the keynote paper. Director General of DOS Commodore Syed Ariful Islam presided over the seminar where ministry secretary Md Abdus Samad and fisheries and livestock ministry secretary Raiyasul Alam Mondal also spoke.