BangladeshPost placeholder

Shantimoy Chakma, Rangamati
At least 84 dwelling thatches and corrugated houses of four owners were brunt to ashes in a devastating fire that broke out from an electric shot circuit at Reserve Bazar in the town on Sunday morning.
The fire first originated from an electric shot circuit at around 8:30am from one of a house of Babul Dey and engulfed the surrounding areas within minutes, resulted 84 semi-pacca, corrugated tin shed and thatched houses were gutted, said Didarul Alam, assistant director of Rangamati Fire Station.
Receiving information, fire fighters from district headquarters rushed to the spot and tried to douse the blaze at around one hour. As it was failing to extinguish the inferno, two fire units from Kaptai and Kaukhali upazilas were joint in the operation. Later, the fire was brought under their control after more than three hours frantic efforts by the seven fire fighting units with the help of local people at 12:00pm, said Didarul.
“All those houses were very risky to such a terrible fire incident as there was no byroad to access by our fire extinguishers vehicles. So that we raised the point many times during monthly law and order meeting in the deputy commissioner’s office. But nobody paid heed our suggestion,” Didarul Alam told this correspondent.
He, however, could not give the exact information about the extent of damages. But he said the lost of damages may be around Tk 10 crores.
“At first I saw smoke was billowing from an adjacent electric poll and then fire was caught in some five to six houses at a time including Babul Dey’s house,” said Nizam Uddin, owner of 75 houses out of 84.
The other 5 houses owned by Md. Saidul, Safique and Rafique owned by two houses each.
Local people, police and army joint with the fire fighters to extinguish the blaze during the three hours long blaze. But no one was hurt in the fire incident.